Friday, July 14, 2006

A note on Israel and Lebanon.
WTF?
One of my friends from Hamline was over tonight (to study stupid math) and noticed that I've hung pictures of Lebanon and Israel up in my kitchen-- really something that I have done since forever. (My mom has an atlas where she let me draw in the troop positions and major battles in the Iraq war the first time around.)

He said that he's heard it said (God-knows-where) that people are talking about this newest conflict becoming the basis for the next World-war. maybe. possibly. I mean, unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised, but I can't help but be skeptical as well.

Really, it's all just incredibly sad. I heard some interviews today on public radio-- one, most notably of an Israeli woman who had a sad and scary side of things to tell. I really felt terrible for her and her children (and her husband)-- but then she went on to say that basically, she figured the best way to solve the problem was to "show strength" and kill all of the Lebanese. Ack. Shock. I just don't understand that sort of thinking.

My same friend this evening suggested to me that I would have a fierce fight-like reaction if I were put in the same circumstances. I agreed, but I only agreed that I would feel like that in a defensive way, I would never react in an offensive way in the same vein. Who is it that goes on the offensive like this? It is most certainly not mothers with children, or for that matter, even sane fathers with children-- who are these people who act in such non-seven-generational ways? Surely, no one who has seriously tried to consider what the world will be like in 300 years would act like this. I hope.

On another completely related and completely immature note-- I once erotically made-out with someone while discussing the student riots in France-- this topic would make an even better one, I think.

No comments: